Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

All Hail, Her Majesty

If all writers are nuts, I'm the Queen of InsaneIstan.

About five minutes after I sent it out, I hate every story I write. Even if some kind editor actually wants to pay me money for my words.

Case in point: The editor for Modern Magic anthology just sent me comments for my short story. My first reaction was to cringe and think, "I wrote that two years ago. I don't even want to look at it." The correct reaction should have been, "Cool. Now I can get PAID."

Until a couple of years ago, I couldn't stand the idea of anyone reading my fiction. So I didn't write any. Ever. Nowadays, I claim that neurosis has been beaten into submission.

Actually, it's just taken a new form. I send things out and perversely hope they'll just go away. "Go ahead. Read it. Just don't tell me you read it."

On the upside, I take rejection well. "Yeah. You're right. It's horrible." OTOH, the attitude isn't conducive to sales. Recently, one market rejected a story, but suggested changes and asked to see it if I made the changes. Have I made the changes? Nooo. My excuse. I'm waiting till that market reopens for submissions. Or perhaps I'm waiting for Christmas or pigs to fly or...

Right. Meanwhile, I could be submitting a new improved version to other markets. But no, I have to be Ms. NeuroticPants.

So the goal for today is to make changes to the [sold] story and get it back to the MM editor. And revise the "near miss story." And send a third story out to submission land.

And hope it goes away.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005