Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Friday, September 30, 2005

So Long, Thanks For The Eye Strain

Things that make me hit the Next Blog button so fast the mouse squeaks in agony:

*Looong paragraphs. Also known as no paragraphs. Posts that are composed of one big block of text. I went to a SF/F workshop where one of the presenters was editor Steve Shaffel of Del Rey/Ballantine books. One of his most interesting statements was that he edited for paragraphs; i.e., he avoids long chunks of text because they overwhelm the reader.

*Eeensy-weensy fonts. I have terrific vision. But I work on a computer all day and my eyes get tired.

*Gray text on a black background. Gray text on any background. See above.

*Sparkly, glittery, smileys everywhere. Screams "I'm sixteen or wish I were still sixteen."

*Hot pink or other gaudy coloured text on a black background. Migraine trigger.

*poeple who cant spel or use punctuation or who fear the Shift key. "i luv puppys dont you" That crap might fly on the itty-bitty text message screen on cell phones. Have a real keyboard? Use it.

*Text that rolls over elaborate backgrounds rendering it unreadable.

*Racist, xenophobic or homophobic rants. Hey, it's the Uni-Bomber.

*Blogs with a splash or intro page. No, I won't click for content. Yes, I'm a lazy bitch. Sticks n' stones, darlin'.

*Blogs that want me to download some funky font-set. I can't read Chinese; what's the point?

*Blogs with music. Your taste in music sucks. So does mine. That's why I don't subject you to my tunes.

*Blogs with a disclaimer: "This is my opinion. If you don't like it then fuck off." Tells me the content will be too stupid to be offensive.

*Disease blogs. I'm sorry. I just don't care. Yes, I'm heartless, whatever.

*Diet blogs. See disease blogs.

*Marketing, business, finance, banking, internet, poker, technology, gadget...blogs. B.O.R.I.N.G. I'd rather read a God blog.

It's the weekend. Quit surfing blogs and go get some sun!

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005