Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

This Has Been Spreading

Rather like a venereal disease...

I hate you so bad

You are the "I hate you so bad" happy
bunny. You hate everyone and everything and you're
not ashamed of it.


Which happy bunny are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

Reading...
Got sidetracked with big, fat Cemetary Dance anthology. Read a few stories by names I recognized: Stephen King, "Chattery Teeth"; Douglas Clegg, "The Rendering Man," Graham Masterton, "Pig's Dinner"; Jack Ketchum, "The Rifle"; and Nancy Holder, "Crash Cart."

Short stories aren't my preferred format, but I enjoyed these. Most didn't have much in the way of a plot, but the voices are so strong, it didn't much matter. As always, King amuses and Masterton is the king of squicky, burned-in-my-retina imagery. "The Rifle" is supposedly a classic, but this was my first exposure to it. Good story, but I didn't find it all that shocking. Perhaps because not much shocks me anymore.

Anyway reading the above just confirmed my belief that, for me anyway, a great voice can carry a story. Whereas great ideas, tight plots or well-crafted prose don't cut it if the voice is flat.

Writing...
Not as much as I hoped since I got stuck...brainstorming time. But I still hit the 1000 mark. Today, busy chatting with Kristin this afternoon. Usually Wednesdays are husband nights. Instead of hiding in my office I creep out of my lair and interact with the spouse.

P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005