Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mellow Greetings

Not mellow at all actually. Manic. I'm getting loads done, but not much sleep. Which means I'm sproyngy-bouncy-zero-to-evil-in-five-seconds.

All that energy translated into 1200 new words, though. [Happy dance like Spiderman]

Not interested in politics. Horse and I are too grumpy to spend much time together. (In the collision between grouchy equine and grouchy human, horse always wins.)

So here's some bits 'n pieces from the publishing/writing world.

Monica Jackson does the slap-down thing on litsnobs/booksnots. Through which I found this article.

Actually, I can relate to some of the article.

Writers hate talking about their books because they're sick to death of them. That and the fact that, on any given day, they secretly suspect that their books might stink.
But...

Half my life revolves around launch parties for friends, or friends of friends, or boyfriends or girlfriends of friends who have, like everyone else it seems, written a book. When I go out now (which is rarely, since I'm finishing a book), all my friends want to talk about is their latest writing project.


Eh? The vast majority of my friends and family have no literary aspirations, although they all read. If anything, I think they find my reluctance to talk about projects odd, because they are genuinely curious about the "writer's life."

Friend: "What's it like?"

Me: "Hungry. Hmmm. You look tasty. Stay there while I fetch some Chianti, fava beans, and a machete."

And You Thought The Line At The DMV Was Bad...
Try waiting to be published. The time between sending out a submission and (assuming it gets accepted) publication can span years.

1) If you don't simultaneously submit and, like me, possess only a modicum of talent, worms will devour your rotting corpse long before you get published.

My question? To all the publications and agents who received a submission with a SASE, and didn't respond. Dude, where's my stamp? Thieves.

Throw First Baby On The Fire...
Your first novel? There's a good chance it sucks. And it might not even be what you are meant to write. Martha O'Conner, author of The Bitch Posse, talks about her journey to publication.

Now I'm quick to admit that my first book, which I wrote at age fifteen, was horrible. It was the most pathetic fantasy novel ever written, and could have been used as the textbook for a How Not to Write a Novel class. It was filled with pages of unnecessary description and exposition, clunky dialogue, and was boring, boring, boring. It was so bad, in fact, that my grandmother is hanging onto it to blackmail me! I have no illusions about that work's quality, but with each and every work you grow. You learn. You get better.
Although I claim The Music of Chaos as "the first book," my first attempt at a novel happened about three years before. Epic fantasy, a sweeping trilogy, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was absolutely horrible. Pick a POV, Kirby, any POV.

Fortunately it only exists in electronic space, no spotted owls displaced in its printing. In its (feeble) defense, some of the dialogue is okay; it's (intentionally) funny in places; and in its characters, I see the precursurs of those in TMOC.

And there are no frail, oh-so-sweet little victims to be found.

It still sucks. But at the time, a contemporary fantasy written in first-person POV was the last thing I wanted to write. As a reader, I didn't like either.

Who knew I'd find my voice in something I never dreamed of writing?

Off to read about boy wizards and to write about grumpy vampires and snotty elves.

Pat K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005