Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Along Came A Spider

Centipede, actually.
Yesterday evening, after several glasses of tea, I took a writing break and headed for the bathroom. It was getting late and I was a tad bleary-eyed. I, erm... sat down and got down to business.

Then I felt something squirm under my foot. Lifted my foot--bare foot--and looked down.

Six-inch centipede.

Girly scream.

A few seconds later the J-man's voice comes from the other side of the door. "What's going on?" Me, I'm sitting on the throne, feet up in the air, frowning at shiny brown bug that is curiously immobile on the blue rug.

"Go get a cup," I said. "But, uh, don't come in yet."

So I finish up my business, feet still in the air, feeling foolish. Flush, tiptoe off and put self back together. Bug is still sitting there. "You get an eye full?" I grumbled.

I called the J-man. He arrived, cup in one hand, postcard in the other. "I think I stepped on it," I said.

He smirked. "That's not very nice." Shoving an edge of the cup at the front of the beastie, he said, "It doesn't look so good." He tapped the centipede's ass with the postcard.

At that, it came to life; one hundred legs churning, it accordianed into several ess-curves. Then it obediently slithered into the cup. (Hmmm. Have we caught this sucker before?) J-man topped the cup with the postcard and took centipede outside. Good bug Karma.

(Centipedes eat termites. I'm not about to kill an ally in the battle against the home destroyers.)

Writing...
Having survived an encounter with slithering, fanged bug, I cranked out the daily thousand. This being Monday, probably won't get much done.

Monday, bleh
P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005