Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My Biologic Clock is Digital

Was watching the morning news programs yesterday and had one of those moments when I just don't get my own gender. Namely, the whole runaway bride thing. This was the first I'd heard of it; the headlines at my usual Internet news sources didn't interest me.

Anyway, I don't get the dream wedding/wedding stress fixation. The J-man and I got hitched in Vegas with just the important people--our parents--in attendance. His folks gave us a choice: they'd pay for a wedding or a Hawaiian honeymoon. Given a choice between a puffy white dress I'd wear once and a week in paradise, paradise won. One of the best decisions I ever made.

10K on a wedding! Fuggetaboutit. That's a downpayment on a house.

Additional examples of my gender malfunction:

1. I have not, nor will I ever watch a movie on Lifetime.
2. Human babies do nothing for me. At the sight of a
baby, I don't squeal and join a thundering female herd as
it rumbles toward some hapless infant. Most babies look
like W.C. Fields.
3. Kittens do nothing for me.
4. Baby horses, however, make me go squee!
5. Snakes, spiders and other creepy crawlies are cool.
6. Cut flowers are gross. Decapitated plants, ugh.
7. I don't like chocolate candy. Spent most of my youth
faking an allergy to chocolate to avoid teasing. Too old
to care now.
8. Diamonds are not my best friend. My husband is.
9. The Three Stooges are funny.
10. In my closet: battered Reeboks, generic black and
white pumps, hiking boots, white canvas tennis shoes, and
black ankle high boots. Mules are animals that pull
wagons.
11. Unless the store in question sells books or hardware,
I don't shop. My Mommy still dresses me.
12. I never ask for directions.
13. My biological clock is digital, so no ominous ticking.

I wonder if any other women, in the company of some* women, also scratch their head and wonder, "Who are these lunatics?"

(*Naturally, all the women I spend time with are quite sane. Or, as sane as anybody can be. )

Writing...
Got in about 1000 words yesterday. Of course, part of that was in the form of outline and brainstorming on the romance novel, but it's all movement forward.

Writing chat this afternoon with Kristin.

P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005