Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Stuff

Fixing a double posting.

Eats, Blogs and Leaves
Article about the importance of grammar, punctuation and all the writerly stuff in blogs. I.e., how being coherent translates into readers. Found this, ironically, on a blog where the writer abhored capital letters and was ranting about how not-using capitalization was a form of free speech. O-kay.

Which POV appeals to you as a writer? Reader? First person? I use both. Some stories just want to be told in first, others in third. I used to hate reading first person, but I think Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series cured me of that.


School Reading Choices Could Spell Disaster

A big Huzzah! to the writer of the above for pointing out what the J-man and I have been ranting about for years. The believe of English teachers that they have only done their job if they have obliterated a child's interest in reading.

Because they were forced on pain of death to expound on the meaning of the green light at the end of Daisy Buchanan's dock. Enter the Godzilla of high school English -- the dreaded metaphor. ''Why the obsession with the green light? Because it's the way the teachers were taught," says Bauer. ''That's a graduate school inquiry at best. It's sad that eager readers will be taught out of the pure fun of it."

This style of teaching (and reading material) pretty much made non-readers out of many of my friends. And it made me absolutely hate English as a subject. (Even though, ironically, I always got "A's.")

As the article's author says:

"Anything that detracts from the early reading addiction is a crime."

Cheers,
P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005