Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Frankenstein's Paragraph

Gacked from Vanessa Jaye.

--Build a paragraph...

Directions:
1. Take first five novels from your bookshelf.
2. Book 1 -- first sentence
3. Book 2 -- last sentence on page 50
4. Book 3 -- second sentence on page 100
5. Book 4 -- next to the last sentence on page 150
6. Book 5 -- final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph.
8. Feel free to "cheat" to make it a better paragraph.
9. Name your sources
10. Post to your blog.

My result, with attempts to make "a better paragraph" in parenthesis...

I was at the diner when I got my first real look at an Observer. Nudging Ed, I said, "When she lets her lower lip drop a little, and her chin comes up and her nostrils flare--get out of the way!" Ed said nothing, his long face tight with disgust as he choked down the lunch special. I wolfed lunch down. No sweat. I ate that crappy food all the time. A few mouthfuls later, I said, "LEP weapons and communications are down, and the best thing is that you, my horsy friend, will be held responsible. I will take my crown, as Urron Redhand did five thousand years ago."

With apologies to:

1. The Silver Spoon, Stacey Klemstein
2. Deerskin, Robin McKinley
3. One for the Money, Janet Evanovich
4. Artemis Fowl, the Arctic Incident, Eoin Colfer
5. A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin

It could have been worse. I almost grabbed Stephen Hawking's The Theory of Everything. E.g., last sentence on page 50 is: "These stars would be supported by the exclusion principle repulsion between the neutrons and protons, rather than between the electrons."

Speaking of science...

Earth loses an inch...
According to European scientists, the 2004 Sumatran earthquake (think tsunami), probably left a scar on the Earth's gravitational field, shortened the day by a fraction of a second, and made the planet a little thinner around the middle. Link. Skinny Earth, hee.

Eleven On Top...
The latest Stephanie Plum novel is about to come out. As a few of y'all know, The Music of Chaos was partly inspired by Janet E.'s bumbling bounty hunter. (Basically, I was trying to write a departure from the usual angry, chip-on-her-shoulder paranormal type.) Lately, however, the Plum books have been a little stale. This go around, it looks like Stephanie is going to try life as a normal gal: no apprehending naked, greased-up perps. It feels like Evanovich is giving herself a fresh approach to the character. I hope it works out. I loved the energy in the first five books.

Excerpts are posted at her website.

Writing...
Need to read and critique Kristin's latest story. Still haven't done the weekly Critters thing.

Brainstorming on an idea for a short story.

Sign and mail--shudder--the contract.

Cheers,

P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005