Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Writing Links

Further proof that writing is something like a career for me. I find myself searching out industry news. Dull, drab and tedious stuff, like "who's been hired or fired where."

I have a memory of riding the bus home from work and seeing a coworker immersed in an IT trade magazine. At the time, I couldn't fathom why anyone would intentionally subject themselves to such tedium.

If reading the trade mags in your field is akin to slogging though the La Brea Tar Pits, then you are in the wrong profession.

I was.

I found this link at The Passionate Pen. It has lots of insight into the wild and woolly pub business. Most of it with a slight "romance" focus, but that's my thing anyway. Good information, even for romance-hating genre writers.

At the recent Southwest Writers Conference, Steve Staffel (Editor, Del Rey), said, "Now, I know each of you has written the great American novel." [Said with a heaping spoonful of irony.]

Great American novel? Glurk. Not me.

During a weekly writer's lunch, fellow writer and Critter, Kristin, pointed out, and I paraphrase, "I just want to write a good yarn." I suspect this is the goal of most of us. A good story that takes the reader someplace else for a few hours.

But even for those who are compelled to create great art, the notion of writing as a business is an inevitability.

For more industry "news" check out the remainder of the Booksquare site.

For F/SF/H industry stuff, there's always Locus.

Not getting much of my own stuff done. Maybe I'll take pity on a writer whose story only has one critique so far. (I've already got a respectable eleven, plenty considering the story is 6K long.)

Drat. The greyhound wants out. Big ordeal because he needs his coat. Off to dress the dog.

Cheers,

P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005