Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Snowy Saturday

More white stuff.

Not enough to stick, but more than usual for the desert.

All By Myself...
The J-man headed out for an overnight trip to Colorado. His destination, his folks' place, where he will pick up hay for the Nikster. Sniff. Horse needs to eat, but I don't like being without my man. So much for being an independent woman.

Saturday Morning Television...
...is as bad as television at any other time during the week.

--Apparently advertisers think most Hispanics were born yesterday. And apparently some Hispanics make purchases as though they were.

*For sale on one Spanish station: Gold and silver lucky talismans. Health, Wealth and Good Fortune! All can be yours if you buy a couple of coins stamped with Mason-like symbolism. The ad has very low production value: cheesy graphics and it looks like it was put together in somebody's basement. Features imagery of HUMVEEs and red corvettes.

*Another info-mercial hawks a corsette-like device that is guaranteed to make you lose weight around your waist.

There's a sucker born every minute and it seems the most gullible speak Spanish.

--Team Rocket on "Pokeman" gets all the best lines.

--All car commercials look alike to me. I don't even "see" them anymore.

--Suze Ormand (financial advice guru) makes sense. So much so, I can't believe people can't figure this out by themselves. If you want to save money, don't buy shit you don't need*. Seems pretty obvious to me. I don't need to spend a fortune on her books/videos.

(*You "need" food, water, and a roof over your head. All the other stuff is just...stuff.)

Yawn.

For Writers...
Interesting article at Strange Horizons.
Varied Ways of Looking at a Manuscript
The article looks at the different types of evaluations that a manuscript might pass through, from the too-kind assessments of family to critique groups and workshops.

Got me thinking how many manuscripts I have critiqued. I've critiqued six novels and one novella. I critique [at least] one story a week and have only skipped a few weeks since joining Critters in October 2003. Allowing for the many weeks where I've done two or more critiques, that comes out to at least seventy.

Wow!

Writing...
Got notification that "Jack Sprat's Golem" is going through another round of consideration at the pub I sent it to. Would be nice to get it published somewhere. It's an odd story, but I think it has some merit. Wouldn't have sent it out if I didn't. I've several stories sitting on the harddrive that don't merit the trip out to Subland.

Got most of the copy edit stuff done on "Shapeshifter." I need to address a couple of contextual issues, but it's about ready to be printed and packaged up for WOTF. (It got a very respectable number of critiques [25] despite being long [6K] by Critters' standards. I'll cruise through the critiques one more time to make sure I didn't miss anything.) I need to get it postmarked by the end of March to be eligible for first quarter 2005. I'm gonna try and be patient and not submit it anywhere else.

I'll probably do the weekly critique thing today.

Night is my best time for writing and with the J-man gone, I should get a lot done tonight.

Cheers,

P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005