Ramblings from the Desert

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~Benjamin Franklin

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Author of the urban fantasy novel, The Music of Chaos, and the paranormal romance, The Canvas Thief.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Happy Spring

Okay, so it really isn't Spring.

At least not according to Mr. Calendar. But it's starting to look like Spring.

Several squadrons of sandhill cranes flew over the house today. I was scooping horsey poop when they cruised over straight and low, headed north.

Which is a little odd, because they're usually doing their odd spiralling thing, rising on thermals, a cacophony of chortling and squawks. But it had just rained, so I think the cooler air kept them low. Then the sun came out and they slowed and started their climbing spirals.

Nature in Spring is horny.

The curve-billed Thrashers are putting on concerts--they sound like Mockingbirds, and the roadrunners are doing mating dances. Roadrunners, unlike their cartoon representative, are not blue, don't go "beep-beep," and they don't eat seed. They eat birds, yes, other birds. Today there were two roadrunners in the yard and a third swooped in an ill fated attempt at nabbing lunch. Whatever he was after got away.

They all ended up on the roof where I could hear them making an odd cooing sound. Roadrunners also make an awful ratcheting noise. Their mating dance involves a lot of tail wagging, long black tail ticking back and forth like a clock's pendulum. It's very funny.

The rabbits are...well, the rabbits are always randy, but probably at their worst now.

But the final proof that Spring has arrived is the Nikster, who is loosing hair by the handful. Unfortunately, he's at the nasty stage where lots of hair falls away, but he still looks like a fuzzy mustang. It'll be at least another month before he's a sleek Arabian again.

I keep making the mistake of grooming him by the water trough--the result, hairy water.

The rat dog and Justin have their Spring allergies going.

The Shed...
The ever-clever J-man just finished framing the final wall of the shed. The side with the door and window, so it involved a bit more cutting, for the headers and so forth. So now we have the skeleton of the shed. It's starting to look like something.

Writing...
Cranked out at least four thousand words on the short story for a romance market. The word count limit is 10,000, so I didn't have to sweat the usual short limits. I still need to fluff up one scene, but it almost ready to go. Probably not my best work, but I wanted to see if I could write on a deadline.

Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Rejection sucks, but at least when it comes quickly, it's like a clean and merciful death. Pow, it's over. I've got one story, one I happened to be rather fond of, stuck in two different black holes. One, an anthology, claimed a turn-around time of 120 days. Then...they said they's make a decision in January. Now, they've bumped that up to "by April." Whatever that means. (I subbed the story, "Keep Away From Naked Flame") back in June 04.

Black Gate, a magazine famous for long waits has had the story since June as well. On an online newsgroup, the editor claimed he had dealt with most of the backlog, so I don't know if that means my story got rejected and the rejection lost in the mail or whether it's still in consideration or what. Since I know his mailbox is jammed, I haven't bothered with a status query.

(By writing all this down, I'm probably jinxing myself into immediate rejection notices, but, oh well, at least it'll be closure.) I want to send it on to ASIM, but they don't like simultaneous subs.

Bleh.

I need to write up a little schpiel to accompany my Neverary article. The topic: "To what extent do non-genre artforms (e.g. mainstream literature, film noir, pop music, baroque architecture, etc.) inspire your genre writing?"

Not sure about baroque architecture (snerk), but since I write with music in the background, the short answer is, "to a great extent." Anyway, I need to say that in 100-150 words. For me the problem will be keeping it under 150.

Cheers,

P.K.

 

Graphics and Content Copyright © Patricia Kirby 2005